Taupo Intermediate Outdoor Education
Students at Taupo Intermediate are offered a large range of activities through class/year-group based programs, whole school initiatives and selected sports, cultural, academic or other groups.
Year 7 program includes:
- Waiouru Army Museum visit
- End of year day trips (rafting, sailing, kayaking, hiking, camp cooking etc.)
- Specific day or overnight trips as negotiated by their class teacher.
Year 8 program includes:
- Mt Tauhara Climb
- 5 day camp in term 4 (generally coastal: Hawkes Bay, BOP, Coromandel and Kawau Is) activities include: fishing, kayaking, surfing, snorkeling abseiling, hikes etc.
- Specific day and overnight trips can be negotiated by a class teacher.
- Wakeboarding: teachers were able to select app 5 students from their class to take part in free wakeboard instruction at the Taupo Wake Park
Whole School Initiatives:
- Taupo Intermediate Triathlon
- Sponsored Cleanup of Taupo
- Snow Skiing: For many years we have offered all students the opportunity to have a days skiing at Whakapapa with instruction on safety, use of lifts and equipment
- BOP sports
- Abel Tasman
- Leadership Camps
- AIMS Games
- Bevan Docherty Award activity groups/trips
- Cultural and academic trips (dance, Baymaths, Litquiz etc.)
- This mountain lodge has recently been taken over by 5 Taupo schools and was first used by us in early August with our ski race team, followed by being the venue for a teacher only day this year. The hut works well and this year we envisage it being used for class overnight camps and team building during summer/spring along with our race team in winter
- With day trips teachers are required to complete a day trip form which covers group, destination, timing, transport, parents assisting, dangers etc. They are also required to submit relevant RAMS forms, volunteer and driver info.
- Camps require a folder with the minimum of: program times & activities, personnel, location maps, emergency numbers, RAMS & critical incident forms, transport & volunteer forms, Health forms & permission slips, operator/provider RAMS, copy of all newsletters, food list & menu, budget, cheque requirements, school EOTC gear required, explanation re any students not attending.
- Whole school initiatives have a detailed multipage ‘Operation Plan’ generated specific to the event.
All teachers are required to complete a Outdoor 1st Aid Refresher every two years